Where Is All The Goodness?
I don’t know about you, but I am growing weary of turning on my television or opening my social media feeds to discover that hate continues in the world.
Every day for months now, we have seen violence, bullying, and various forms of attacks on individuals and communities leaving many feeling hopeless.
I understand it is important to keep up to date of the injustices being done to others, but there is part of me, that feels by focusing on all the negativity happening today, we are missing opportunities to promote the good going on in the world.
I don’t think we should turn a blind eye to the events going on, but we can counteract some of the attention given to those who promote hate and violence, by sharing stories of those who are trying to build a world of kindness.
Spreading Goodness and Kindness.
That being said, I am on a mission.
A mission to focus on people and communities that are striving to make a positive difference in the lives of others.
A beauty in the midst of chaos, if you will.
The idea came to me this past weekend while I was weeding one of my flower beds.
The hot temperatures over the past several weeks had done two things –
- Caused me to remain inside, since the older I get, the less time I can spend outside.
- Allowed bindweed to overtake my garden leaving me nothing but a lush sea of green as it did its best to choke out any of my flowers.
Bindweed is an invasive and destructive weed that aggressively competes with other plants for water, light, and nutrients.
Bindweed intertwines its vines around other vegetation and does its best to choke out anything that crosses its path.
Facing the daunting task of trying to salvage any life buried under that hateful weed, I began my quest to find any sign of remaining beauty.
I can’t tell you how excited and happy I was to find this towards the end of my mission.
There Is Kindheartedness To Be Seen In All Things.
A strong, determined, beautiful flower capable of surviving anything that tried to choke the life out of it.
- It reminded me of a dear friend who has gone through a lot of shit the past few years.
- It reminded me of many of you, who bring beauty and goodness to my life and the lives of others.
- It reminded me I must push past the negativity, hate, and ugliness in the world and continue my mission to promote kindness and love to others who may be having a difficult time finding it themselves.
Each day we are faced with people and circumstances trying to choke any bit of joy out of us. Sometimes it’s hard to find beauty in the day and we allow the opinion or rudeness of others define or dictate our mood.
But Wholesomeness Can Be Found If We Remember These Three Things.
We need to remember:
- Everyone is going through something we know nothing about.
- Some people are just rude and hateful, but we don’t have to allow them to bring us down.
- If there are days when we can’t find any good, then we can use it as an opportunity to create goodness for others to see.
The world can be a mean and ugly place and some days it doesn’t seem like there is anything beautiful to offer but those are the days we have to dig for it.
I believe there is good in the world and if we each do our part in being the good in the world, maybe, one day our news feed and news station will have more positive things to report on than the negative.